Hey guys, this is something I have been working on for some time now.
Hopefully this will make music creation in the Atari 8-bit format a more pleasant experience!
Changelog for this hacked RMT version since my earlier Tuning patch 15:
- This version was based on Analmux's RMT Patch 8, so several of his changes remain in place, mainly the FILTER not muting the other channel, for example
- Most of the work was done directly in the rmtplayr.a65 code since the last patch! This will allow way more things to be done as I slowly learn how to code in 6502 ASM...
- New and improved volume lookup table, saved 128 bytes of data, at the cost of some extra cycles to be executed. Special thanks to TakuikaNinja for the idea and help implementing it! This doesn't seem to sound any different from the old code, yet the space saved is considerable!
- Improved several of my tuning tables, based on my spreadsheet maths and formulae figured out over time.
- Re-ordered several tables based on the discovery earlier that a full 256 bytes could be addressed, so the most optimal setup for the moment has been squeezed. This is not definitive yet, so changes are likely to happen as I understand better.
- 16-bit trigger now depends on having both the correct AUDCTL value, either $50 for 1+2 or $28 for 3+4, and must also use Distortion A to work at all.
- Added a dumb check for if Command 1 was used as well, will skip the hijack if detected, in order to keep certain things like percussions functional.
- 16-bit table is loaded from the space cleared from the optimised volume code, nothing lost and nothing new!
- Distortion 6 hijack is removed entirely, so instead it's temporarily replaced with an optimised Distortion A table for 15hz bass, with matching tuning to the other ones.
More can be done, I am sure of it!
Unless I fucked things up everything should play the same as before but now with some extras available, except for the 16-bit and Distortion 6 changes done like I mentioned above. :D
Also, not seen in the tracker itself, there is a Distortion C 15khz table hijack, will work by using AUDCTL 01 and Distortion C, but only in the XEX exports for now, since my earlier hijack code broke the tracker lol
Enjoy, I hope I will be able to do more soon!
Download can be found in the Atari Age thread I posted a bit earlier:
I also posted it in the Discord a moment ago :)