okay today is my 2nd burfday, so i decided to bump this thread! there are some things i really have to say and i thought this is the right place to do it c:
this is both a summary of my botb history merged together with what changed in my life and/or how i developed as a person due to it. special thanks at the end!
the first time i heard about botb was in 2016, when robyn told me about it and asked me if i wanna join the site because it might be fun.
i opened it, looked at it for a minute, then closed and almost forgot it again lol
over one year later, in late 2017, i created my account (only because i wanted to download a .dmf file i didnt find anywhere else). again i didnt really try to understand this place or submit anything, so i left again and almost forgot about it, but finally, in feb 2018, robyn posted one of her submissions on twitter, so i checked it out and felt motivated to submit something as well.
took me a few more months, until may, to understand the concept of ohbs (i only did major entries before) and join the discord/botb-chat.
i guess, that was when i became addicted to this place.
i'm a person who always needs a hobby to invest a LOT of time in, thats just how i work as a person. i dont like it to only consume things, i need to create something!
at first, i made youtube videos for years since 2010... lets plays, ytpmvs and so much more, but it slowly became tiring to me. i needed something else. botb was just the perfect place to fill in the gap. it became my new hobby, something i can work on in my free time, something that challenges but also rewards me. a cool community with a lot of amazing people, mixed up with a lot of history and lore.
i bet some of you are wondering, why i've been that active on here.
the simple answer is: its just a lot of fucking fun!
the more complex answer is: botb is amazing. - how everything works together.
when i joined, i thought my music were already good. lol. only because i submitted to battles, recieved feedback and got low scores, i realized thats not the case. but it helped me to have a reason to get better. suddenly, i wanted to understand, why i was ending up on the last places. i started to care about what i do and how i do it, and also about other peoples work as well. i started to analyze, learn and slowly get better.
the rpg-like system with leveling, badges, medals and getting more abilities is the second thing. its what motivates me in the long run.
it was around june 2018, when i started to really became interested in botb's origins and older battles, but when i also found out about leveling up and how to get points (yes it took some time, i didnt pay attention to all this at all at first). thats when i started to listen to older entries and tag them. but since i was a n00b (and still am), my tags were pointless and annoying. criticism and getting pointed out by admins helped me to understand the community as a whole and how i can make it better for everyone instead of only caring about my own projects.
during the second half of 2018, i learned a lot - about music on the one hand, and about the community/website on the other hand.
the botb community is awesome. so many different people, almost everyone is friendly and supportive af. everyone is different in the best way possible. everyone is important, is adding a small amount of chaos to all of this, so that botb feels wild and dynamic and like a big family where everyone is welcome. it makes this website and its community as interesting as it is to me.
so many evenings/nights/days (depending on timezone) in the past year, i was just chatting on discord/irc, maybe doing ohbs. it was so much fun. not only because i wanted to get a badge or wanted to try out a cool bit pack, but because i could do it together with all of you! the mix of seeing what you think about my work and seeing how you did something. this is so inspiring and beautiful and i never was part of a similar community before.
and even if i'll have some special thanks later, i just wanna say THANK YOU to everyone here, because no matter if you're online every day or just checking the site once in a month. you're an important member of the community!
its just so motivating to have a new challenge (major or minor battle) almost every day, to have inside jokes and stupid (but still funny) words that are only used on this website and to constantly learn something new - about botb, music, people, myself. its magical and i love it.
i always hope that im not too annoying. i know i can really be when something interests me a LOT. and botb is one of these things.
thats why im trying to listen to every entry, tagging every entry, working on the lyceum and joining almost every discussion thread. i really care about this site and the community, just because i spend so much time here and it helped me to think outside my own small box.
botb helped me to collaborate. in multiple ways.
- people helped me to get better at making music, now i also try to give feedback as best as i can, so that other people can get better.
- people helped me to get badges, now i try to give something back when i host ohbs for other botbrs, so that they can host their own ohbs as well.
- i learned that collaborating on music (or other projects) is a lot of fun, if you have someone who's motivated like you. im less inhibited to ask someone to collab on something.. thanks to all the cool people i already collaborated with.
- i also learned that not every collab and project will succeed, and thats okay, because you still work on something and get more experience
botb helped me to improve my english and helped me to speak it more fluently. i bet there are still 3498057984375 mistakes of every kind in this wall of text, but thats okay as long as people understand what im trying to say. every now and then i stumble upon an older comment from me and sometimes i realize a mistake i made and how i'd say it differently nowadays, and thats cool. being forced to talk english in a very repetitive pattern while hosting or doing ohbs (asking if someone is interested, asking if someone is voting, asking if everyone is done with voting) is really helpful.
discussions on topics (botb related but also botb unrelated) are easier to do in another language when i really care about the subject rather than not, like in school (obviously)
i found a website that is so much fun in so many ways, is encouraging me to make creative work (music, art), research (lyceum), making the website navigation better (tags) and improving my english (irc) + so much more... this ultimate mix of everything is what makes botb botb. if someone asks me what my favorite hobby is, i always struggle to sum up this beautiful place in just one or two sentences but im not able to. its not possible. its more than just a website for chipmusic competitions. its a living thing. its strange and weird but also very cozy. its exactly what i needed in my life tbh. im so glad i found this place.
sooo many people i've met, so many cool people.
if your name is not on this list, there are only 2 possible reasons why: 1. we literally never (or almost never) talked or interacted with each other; 2. i forgot you and am terribly sorry about it D:
This list is pretty much unsorted. since so many people on here make inspiring music, you'll see me saying this a lot. its just the truth okay? :D
- Robyn: for always supporting me since 2014, showing me this site, encouraging me to submit tracks and being a great friend
- puke7: for creating and still running this wonderful place. also thanks for letting me host my own major battle. getting this opportunity is really amazing. you're a cool person and a very good sysadmin. also you have the most incredible beard ever
- phil & vova: for being one of the best friends i made through botb. thanks for all the great hours, all the inspiration, every single silly joke and so much more! 56!!
- miau: for being the most friendliest cat on botb!!! also thanks for all the nsf ohbs and for working together with me. thanks for giving me a free copy of your game (it was amazing, i love it (i know, you already know this)). you're a great game designer and i really hope there will be more in the future!
- dhg2/GoldenDenis: for being a cocking awesome guy! your musical skill is impressive and inspiring, you as a person are so chill and supportive. its always a blast to work or just chat with you, man. i really hope we can do more stuff together in the future!!
- djmax: for hosting a lot of cool ohbs last year, hanging around on irc and also for the 3 collabs we made together.
- galgox: for being the cute bubble dragon! it's always amazing and inspiring to see how you can make good music with every format. you entering major battles is always cool! also thanks for collaborating with me on that snibbe track. another collab sometime? would be cool!
- savestate: for telling me how to tag entries properly and calling me out when i was acting stupid and annoying
- keffie: for being supportive and making very inspiring music
- chip champion: for being my top motivation regarding badges >:) seriously, its amazing to see how good you are at almost every format and how patient you are regarding botb. you're a true chip champion and thats extremly motivating!
- strobe: for a very successful and fun collab! also for your sense of humor and incredible inspiring entries on botb
- slimeball: for being cool af and making me think about something twice by telling me your opinion about something. also thanks for reusing silly memes and jokes to keep botb a fun place!
- sinc-x: for hosting and joining a lot of ohbs and making amazing music. you've been one of my main inspirations for quiet some time
- jyoshi: we didnt talk that much but you're cool, even if you like coffee and calling me "the taggist" (and your music is extremly good!)
- b00daw: for being supportive and fair. if you're around, the botb chat always feels even more friendly and cozy.
- tobikomi: for making winning a format gold medal a real challenge >:) your music is always fucking good, no matter which format u choose. we really need to collab someday. its always refreshing to see new entries from you!
- gtap: for your honest and helpful feedback on my music!
- kungfufurby: for your support and all your knowledge about snes-music which you shared with us on irc. you're a really supportive person and all your technical help is amazing!
- raphaelgoulart: i bet you dont remember me from before-botb when i watched your ytpmvs. but it was really cool to recognize your name and seeing you active on here. you're a cool person and i enjoyed our few and short conversations c:
- sc: you've been around for so long and its always cool to see you entering battles and writing comments just because it shows me how much fun this place has to be if someone is joining battles constantly for almost 15 years now (and is not the site owner)
- azura: for hosting the first synclisten stream i ever watched (spring tracks 7) and playing our tic80 game completely! i had a lot of fun watching it!
- mk7: you never hang out on irc but its always cool to see new stuff from you, both musically and visually. i love your art style and the atmosphere in your music. it is very inspiring! keep it up!
- petet: for not only creating music, but journeys, storys and feelings. every single compo win is deserved and i spent a lot of time analyzing your work because its so stunning!
- pumpuli: for helping me with learning renoise and sharing your project files with me. i really appreciate it. (i still wasnt able to really work with renoise due to lazyness and other projects but i hope i'm gonna do it soon!)
- pedipanol: for working together with me on that mt32 entry! i know our workflow and communication could've been better but it turned out really good nonetheless. also thanks for the pcx-ohbs and your inspiring fm work!
- malmen: you're a cool guy and i enjoyed every single conversation we had. thanks for being around on robyns server as well!
- flaminglog: your opus-entries inspired me multiple times and also teached me stuff about composing in famitracker in general. thank you!
- yuzu: your ability to work with almost every bit pack and your creative usage of themes and samples is always amazing and inspiring!
- sintel: your entries were my first contact with microtonal music and im glad about it, because your stuff is great. thanks for sending me your 0cc-source file of your nsf+ summer chip entry so that i can take a look at it and learn
- cessor: for helping me understanding pxtone and some cool remix ohbs last year!
- tennisers: the best latist after sincx lol, thanks for being around so much, joining a lot of my dumb ohbs and always creating interesting music. its always a surprise what you made , because you manage to keep your work variable like i've never seen it from someone else
- nerdmcboon/delta sign: damn, you left again? :( you're a really cool guy. thanks for creating some of the most stunning sound designs in size restricted module files. i've learned a lot from your work!
- th4 d34d: for all your feedback on my earliest entries. you encouraged me to keep doing this stuff and never give up!
- zillah: this isnt really botb-related funnily. but your ytpmvs inspired me to make better ytpmvs which might've lead to the situation of me creating a botb account WHO KNOWS! now that i know your music, i can say for sure, that your work is always inspiring me and its cool to see you around here!
- Lia: i hope you'll be more active soon, your presence on irc and the site was always refreshing and cool. you have a lot of interesting ideas and your work is always a combination of chaos and consistency. i think thats pretty amazing!
- dippy: one of the coolest botbrs on here. thank you for being around and hosting/joining ohbs. you're one of the most active ohb'ers on here atm and i really appreciate your presence. also thanks for the collabs! both were a lot of fun!
- argarak: same for you!!! you're a very cool person and i just wanna thanks for being around almost every day and joining ohbs!!
- ordinate: i remember when we talked about the aym-format and maxymizer back when atari trilogy happened. seeing how determined you are considering badges and your botb goals is extremely motivating!
- midori: for being around, giving me feedback, motivating me, ecouraging me and working together with me. your music is great and very inspiring and so are you as a person.
- ipi: your stuff is what helped me a lot to understand music in general and i really wanna say thank you for this! it was your song Garten which helped me to understand the concept of chords iirc.
- deltarazero: your work on modxk entries but also other formats was very motivating. you're really good at creating incredible stuff with very limited tools and this ability is motivating me to try the same as well
- ap0c: we only talked to each other one time, where i already told you this, but thank you for trying your best to moderate the botb community!
- yqn: for being active on the site and even if your battle activity is restricted to 2 ayms per year, its really cool to see you being around, commenting and supporting me and also other botbrs!
- xyz: for being around (same as with yqn) its always cool to see you being active and commenting/voting on entries.
- public toilet: uwu
- deved: for the cool gameboy/defle ohbs! i wish you were around more, so that we can do even more gameboy/defle ohbs!!! and also tic80!
- schallwelle: you're one of the most honest and supportive persons i know. its always cool to see you around. so many chats we had, both serious and fun-conversations and all of them were enriching! you're a very important part of my botb(irc) experience and i hope you'll be around more in the future again!
- dct master: for being around on discord/irc and a cool guy.
- xu: for all the chats we had and your attitude towards certain things. its cool to see you around! c:
- vinscool: for hanging around and collaborating with me! i really like how you keep being active and how you're getting better!
okay im done now. thats it. im pretty sure i forgot someone, im so sorry!
botb has changed a lot in my life, and i was active on here for only 1 and a half year. i cant wait to see what is waiting for me and all of us in the next years.
Try your worst and do your best. All n00bz!